Joe Steinbring, MBA
June 2016 - Present: Web Application Engineer
- The Office of Information Technology and Analysis serves both the Office of Research and the Graduate School.
- I maintain the WordPress-based websites used by both the Office of Research and the Graduate School.
- I assist the centers that are under the Office of Research with their web needs.
- I maintain the business automation systems behind the Fellowship Competition, Doctoral Milestones, the Graduation Application, and more.
- At the point where I was hired, all business automation systems where cfwheels-based ColdFusion applications, using an Oracle RDBMS database.
- After joining the ITA office, I helped create UWM Shared Web Application Hosting Environment, which allows UWM units to host PHP / MariaDB applications.
- Once the PHP environment became available, I started rewriting all of the business automation systems to use Laravel, Vue.JS, and Bulma.
- In 2019, I started a 3-year term as a representative on the UWM Academic Staff Senate.
- I am a member of the Office of Research's Talent Management Working Group.
Jan 2015 - June 2016: Application Developer
- I mainly worked on the MyQM, CRMS, and MyCR systems.
- The systems were custom built using ColdFusion and MS SQL Server. The client-side code that they used when I got there was using a lot of jQuery. I introduced them to Rivets.js and rewrote a lot of their dashboards to use it.
- The organization funds itself through sales of memberships, so most of my work isn't publicly accessible.
June 2012 - Oct 2014: Senior Application Developer
- I mainly made systems that allowed Starkmedia's clients to update their own websites. Clients that I worked with included Red Arrow, Artisan Partners, Mandel Group, and Calf-Tel. Very few of my projects were greenfield but I was able to introduce some innovations and tweak how things were done.
May 2011 - June 2012: ColdFusion Developer (at Kohler Co.)
- I developed enhancements for an internal corporate transaction tracking system. It was an intranet application that handled vetting of all corporate expenditures at Kohler (everything from new hires to the opening of a new production facility or the resurfacing of a parking lot).
Feb 2006 - May 2011: Web Application Developer
- I developed and maintained the College of Letters and Science' portfolio of custom business automation systems.
- I helped to migrate existing websites to PaperThin CommonSpot
- I hired, trained, and managed a team of web application developers
- I developed the annual departmental budget
2009-2012: MBA, Business Administration; Cardinal Stritch University (Glendale, WI)
2001-2005: BBA, Management Information Systems; University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee - Lubar School of Business (Milwaukee, WI)